Purchasing a new appliance is not always a quick and easy process. Because you are looking for quality and longevity, you want to ensure you do your research before you shop. There are many factors to consider such as add-ons and when and where to shop. Before you begin, check out some tips below before you purchase your next new appliance.
Ask For Recommendations
See what your friends and family have, what they like, what they dislike, and how they would handle their purchasing decision in the future. Some of the best recommendations come from people you know as they will be honest with you about their experiences with the product.
Do Online Research
Make sure you read recommendations. Online or printed reviews can be great for gaining insight on a new product or appliance. However, keep in mind some websites can be biased and may have a paid partnership with the company to promote their product. Consider using unbiased sites with a good reputation, such as Consumer Reports, to see accurate brand testing and rankings.
Make a List of What is Important
What do you want from your appliance and how will you use it? These are questions you need to ask yourself before you shop. They can offer bells and whistles to make your life easier, but also come at a higher price.
Do you do a lot of cooking for large parties? Do you have a big family? Will it be able to store what you need? Do you want to have a smart fridge? Try making a list of things you need and want and see how they stock up against the prices you see. From there, you will be able to determine if the price is worth it.
Determine Your Specifics
When you have a general idea of what you need, narrow down the specifics of your appliance and decide if it fits in your budget.
Next, see if it will flow with your home style and colors.
Most importantly, make sure to get the measurements of your appliance. The last thing you want to do is purchase an item that does not fit!
When and Where to Shop
Now that you know what you want, where do you go? That is where your research will come in. Some things to consider before you go are:
Who Stocks Specific Brands and Models?
Not all stores sell the same brands and models. Call (or visit) around to see who has (or can get) the specific model that you want.
What About Online Shopping?
Online shopping is convenient, especially with large purchases. However, keep in mind that you cannot see the item in person, and therefore, it may look or fit differently than expected.
Know When to Purchase
If you can wait to make your purchase, some times are better than others. However, sometimes your appliance gives out on you, and you have no choice but to purchase one. Check to see if your purchase can fall into one of the categories listed below:
- Purchase Items During Off-Season. Because of the demand, appliances have a higher mark-up during peak season. For instance, you will find air conditioners significantly cheaper during the winter months and the steepest prices during the summer months.
- Purchase When New Model Comes Out.
- Holiday Sales. Find Other Opportunities. If you do not buy during optimal times, check early January when retailers are clearing old inventory after the holidays. Additionally, hHoliday weekend sales, such as President's Day and LaborColumbus Day, also have discounts, as do end-of-year holidays, such as Black Friday and Cyber Monday.
- Negotiate. Shoppers often think that the price listed is the lowest, but retailers can often go lower. Try to negotiate at the end of the month when associates are looking to meet their monthly sales quotas. Remember to research what the prices are at other retailers. If you are purchasing more than one item, you can also ask for a multi-item discount or negotiate for fees and add-ons. Do not hesitate to ask, worst they can say is no, but you can save quite a bit if they say yes.
- Price Match. Major retailers will price match their competitors to ensure they get the sale. Do your research ahead of time and bring proof of the prices elsewhere. However, remember to check the fine print at all the stores to ensure there are no barriers.
|Ovens and Ranges||Sept-Oct|
|Washers and Dryers||Sept-Oct|
There are a lot of factors that go into purchasing a new appliance, so unless you need the item immediately, take the time to research, shop around, and ensure you are confident in your purchase. There are many ways to save on these large purchases, consider when and how you buy to get the best deal.