There are hundreds of subscription services to meet the diverse needs of individuals living in a modern society. One category of services that are getting attention and interest from people across the country are “grocery delivery subscriptions.”
What do they have to offer you and are they worth the prices they charge for the convenience they provide?
Overview of Subscription Grocery Services
You have a variety of features and options among today’s grocery delivery subscriptions, including services:
- Allowing consumers to update their shopping lists and have their shopping done for them for a fee.
- Offering not only the foods required to cook delicious, healthy foods for a fee but also kits that offer step by step instructions for preparing and cooking these meals.
- Providing preparations services, such as basic chopping, slicing, and shredding of ingredients. All that remains for you is to put the meals together and add heat, according to their precise instructions.
There are plenty of benefits to consider when it comes to grocery delivery subscriptions, including those listed below.
- Convenience. Having someone else do the grocery shopping for you saves you time each week. Time spent driving to and from the store, and the amount of time it would have taken you to complete the shopping, is now extra time for you. Some services also allow you to “set it and forget it,” allowing regular household staples to be delivered automatically, removing the need to remember it.
- Better budgeting. Having someone else do the shopping on your behalf eliminates some of the challenges of sticking to your shopping list and your budget. You don’t have to worry about buying items on impulse or because of a sudden food craving.
- Cost-effective. The fees for these services can be reasonable. Combine that with the money you are not spending on things like impulse buys or gas to and from the supermarket, many consumers feel the added costs of grocery delivery subscription services are a wash. When you count the value of your time, this service becomes a lifeline for many consumers.
- Variety. Today’s subscription meal delivery boxes offer versatility, even accommodating special diets (i.e., vegan, gluten-free, low carb).
Subscription services have some drawbacks to consider as well. The better you understand them, the wiser decision you’ll be able to make for your needs.
- Quality. Will the personal shopper look at labels and pick items with the longest expiration dates?
- Cost. While today’s services are more cost-effective than ever, largely thanks to growing competition, it still is an added cost to your grocery shopping. You could save money by doing your own shopping.
- Coupon policy. While some online grocery delivery services accept manufacturers coupons, some do not.
- Limited inventory. Online grocery stores may not be able to provide you with everything you need. If they do not have an item you need, that means you will still need to make the occasional trip to the supermarket for those items.
- Membership fees. Some online grocery delivery subscriptions have membership fees, which be can monthly or annual fees.
For most people, it does come down to the question of time and money. The right grocery delivery subscription services can save you both, which may make them worth the few added dollars to your grocery spending.